July 21, 2009

Street Pianos

This is fantastic! 30 pianos, installed all over London by artist Luke Jerram, in an attempt to "provide a creative, blank canvas for the public to express themselves..."
An open-air, urban art installation, the pianos were set up in various public spaces all over the city, to encourage spontaneous musical expression and create community. Each piano is uniquely hand-painted, and comes with its own laminated songbook and plastic cover, in case of rain.



More video and photo footage of this project can be found at www.streetpianos.com
The musical catalysts held their place in London for three weeks in June/July, after which time they were donated to local community groups and schools.
Just a little something beautiful I thought was worth sharing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went and looked into this more, and it is very cool! I'd play a street piano, even though I don't know much.

Thanks for the interesting story!