October 18, 2008

Room with a View

I went for a sweet hike today, with the Canadians, Dan and Lindsay, an American couple, Mike and Alyssa, and a Korean teacher from one of their schools, Julie. It was definitely one of the most challenging hikes I've done here. We pretty much blitzed straight up a mountain, but the views and the breeze at the top made it so worth it! Have you ever driven for a long time by endlessly rolling fields and hills, when all of a sudden you catch a glimpse of the ocean and your heart catches in your throat and you start getting really excited, as though you've just seen the love of your life? Or felt like Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music, singing "The Hills Are Alive" at the top of her lungs, in a mountaintop field full of flowers? I totally had that experience coming out of the trees today and into the open sunshine, with this gorgeous landscape sprawling out in front of me. I just wanted to start frolicing like a little kid! Which I didn't, for the sake of the others with me. It'd be nice if they'd think of me as somewhat normal for a few more weeks, seeing as how I've just met three of them today. Don't want to put it all out there at once, you know. That's how you scare away your potential friends. ;0) Never mind, I'm blah-ing! Here are some pics from the hike:


No comments: