September 20, 2008

A Fond Farewell

Photobucket

And so it begins. Another adventure, a new country, people, and culture, in a city with a sea-bound coast. I will be flying out of Halifax before dawn tomorrow morning, arriving in South Korea on Monday, where I have a contract to teach English for one year. My thoughts and feelings at present resemble a freshly-churned Dairy Queen Blizzard, but with all the flavors combined! (I have, on occasion, actually ordered all the DQ toppings, in an indecisive moment.) So here you have it; heightened nerves, overwhelming excitement, ready to embrace change while not quite ready to let go of home, feeling prepared one minute, and very inadequate the next... all these emotions, like the flavors of peanut butter, blueberry and mint... they don't sit together very well, as you an imagine, leaving a fairly sizeable knot in my stomach for the past three days! Yet overall, this pervading sweetness: a deepening sense that in moving with these tides, I am in "los manos de Dios." I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my hand. What could be sweeter than that?!!

1 comment:

KMC said...

Fiona...that's wonderful. I hope that you're settling in there and that you meet some great friends. You are a wonderful person and I can't tell you how much i value the mentorship you gave me when we were in uni.

love you friend,

-kathryn